Cycling accident claims
As Britain’s roads get busier, those most vulnerable on the road such as cyclists, are sadly likely to see an increase in accidents resulting in injuries which can sometimes be life changing. Whether you’ve had a collision with a car or sustained an injury as a result of poorly maintained roads/cycle lanes, you may be entitled to make a claim.
Our personal injury lawyers deal with road traffic cycling claims of all types. We are highly experienced, offer no win no fee and are based in London. Please do call or email to discuss your injury claim and how we can help.
Who can make a claim and when?
If the accident was not your fault then you may be entitled to compensation for the injuries you have suffered and your out of pocket expenses. Even if the accident was partly your fault and partly the fault of another party, you may still be entitled to compensation.
There are time limits within which a claim must be made:
- If you are an adult, your claim must be made within 3 years of the accident;
- If the injured person is under 18, the claim must be brought before their 21st birthday
- If the injured person lacks mental capacity, there are no time limits
- If you are claiming on behalf of a loved one who had died as a result of their accident, you need to claim within 3 years of their passing.
Whiplash reforms and cycling claims
Although the new whiplash reforms which have been effective since 31st May 2021 has meant that it will no longer be worthwhile instructing solicitors in many cases involving two motorists (as costs will not be recoverable from your opponent), the reforms DO NOT affect bicycle accidents. This means that we can continue to handle your bicycle claim from start to finish, taking the stress away from you and securing the best possible settlement.
Driver cannot be traced or is not insured?
You can still make a claim for compensation. Your claim will be submitted to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau which is a body funded by the insurance industry and is precisely there to compensate victims of untraced or uninsured drivers.
Compensation for cycling accidents
Your compensation payment will be made up of 2 parts:
- Compensation for the pain and suffering you have been put through and the detrimental affect your injuries have had on your lifestyle. This is known as “general damages”. The amount you will be entitled to depends on the seriousness of your injury and the time it takes for you to recover.
- Any financial losses/out of pocket expenses that you have incurred as a result of the accident. This is known as “special damages”. This could include damage to your bike or other equipment such as helmet, clothing, phone, or other items you may have been carrying. You can also claim loss of earnings, treatment costs, current and future, travelling expenses, cost of nursing or other care, even if provided by a family member and the cost of home or vehicle adaptations required as a result of your injury
What is the process for making a claim?
Once you have contacted us, we will be able to tell you if we think you have a good claim. If you choose to proceed, we will then gather the evidence to support your claim such as any witness statements, police report or CCTV footage. We will also arrange for you to be examined by an independent medical expert who will prepare a report on your injuries.
We will contact the insurers of the person responsible for the accident and ask them to admit fault for the accident. If they do, we will then be able to enter into negotiations with them to get the very best settlement for you or delay settlement until we know when you are going to recover.
Can you help with getting me the treatment I need?
Yes, we can arrange rehabilitation treatment for you such as physiotherapy or counselling if the accident has caused you mental anguish or trauma. We can also arrange such other treatment as the independent medical expert recommends. In cases of very serious injuries, we can arrange for rehabilitation and care experts to get involved to ensure you get the treatment and life long support you need.
Will the claim go to court?
The vast majority of claims are settled by us without any need to take the matter to court. If we did need to go to court, we will fight your corner all the way but always be transparent about the prospects of your claim succeeding.
No win No Fee
Claims arising from cycling accidents, if accepted by us,. will be handled on a “no win, no fee” basis. This means that you do not have to pay anything upfront and if your case is not successful, you will not be liable for any legal costs.
We offer a free initial consultation and are happy to see you at our offices in Edgware or to speak to you over the telephone if that is more convenient