Senior Associate – Immigration law
Taffi is an immigration specialist with 16 years of experience. His practice now consists mainly of corporate immigration and he is also experienced in immigration where there are crossovers with employment and family law. Taffi is a Chevening alumnus and admitted to practice as a solicitor in the UK and in Zimbabwe.
Taffi was lately the Managing Director of Genesis Law Associates. In that role, he led a dedicated team of lawyers which ran a number of ground-breaking cases.
One of Taffi’s cases is Nixon (permission to appeal: grounds)  UKUT 368 (IAC) (30 July 2014) – in which the Home Office was heavily criticised for its habit of routinely lodging appeals using formulaic and unparticularised grounds – and NA (Pakistan) v SSHD  EWCA Civ 662 – in which the Court of Appeal ruled that foreign criminal ‘medium offenders’ (those with sentences of between one and four years’ imprisonment) have the same fall back protection as ‘serious offenders’ (those sentenced to four years or more) when seeking to resist deportation on the basis of Article 8.
Taffi joined us in January 2020 and is available to see clients at short notice, in either the Birmingham or Mayfair office. In the past;
- Taffi has assisted corporates across sectors to successfully apply for Tier 2 Sponsor Licenses.
- Taffi has assisted a nationwide charity to devise its HR systems in preparation for a Sponsor Licence audit and application.
- He has been retained by a festival organiser to apply for entry visas for its headlining artists.
- He assisted a footballer, whose permit ran out, to stay on in the UK in an alternative route which allowed him to play on.
- He assisted a restaurant chain to challenge and substantially reduce the quantum of a Civil Penalty.
- Working closely with counsel and expert witnesses, Taffi represented an Eton scholar in appeal proceedings and secured his status on the basis of his ‘best interests’ and private life, being his exceptional academic and musical abilities.
- He has been instructed in Windrush and related claims, including in Judicial Review proceedings involving the unmarried partner of a WWII veteran.
- Taffi also routinely runs urgent injunctions in the Upper Tribunal in short-notice removal cases involving criminality in conducive deportation matters.
- Taffi has also assisted clients faced with Account Freezing Orders And Cash Forfeitures.
Taffi’s toolkit manual, ‘Leave to Remain; 10 Ways for overstayers to regularise their UK status‘ is now out and is available on Amazon.
Professional Qualifications & Memberships
- Solicitor of England and Wales
- Legal practitioner, Conveyancer and Notary Public, Zimbabwe.
- Chevening alumnus.
In his spare time, Taffi writes fiction.